Tuesday, February 26, 2019

The Church in Chiclayo

I want to talk a little bit about Bautista Iglesia Fundamental Gracia, because in a way that is a huge part of why we are here. Just over a year ago, we were contemplating moving somewhere more southerly, and Peru was one of the countries at the top of our list.

I had been talking with a brother about plans for that year, and he mentioned that he and a couple other siblings were planning to travel to Machu Picchu that summer. I jokingly said that we might move to Peru next year, and if they could wait a year they could visit us. So they waited, and we moved. Now it's time for them to visit us. =)

About that time, my family told me about a Peruvian family that had visited their church and presented in the Spanish-speaking Sunday School. They were building a church in Peru, and my family thought it might be good to talk with them. So we invited them over for dinner, explained our idea about moving to another country for a year or so to learn Spanish, among other things, and asked what they suggested. Note that my Spanish was very rusty, and they did not speak English fluently (although we both understood a bit of each other's language). Their oldest daughter did speak English, and my Spanish-speaking brother Benjamin joined us for dinner to help translate if necessary. But it wasn't really necessary. We manage to communicate pretty well, and they recommended Chiclayo (where they lived) as a fine place to live. They invited us to come visit them, and welcomed us to join their church and participate in the ministry.

We were interested, and made plans accordingly. In August Michael and I traveled to Chiclayo for a scouting expedition, and when we returned without mishap--without getting sick, or robbed, or lost--we decided that we could live there. So we began making plans for the move.

The church was meeting in a small donated space downtown, but recently their landlord needed the building, so they found a new place. I assume the rent is cheap, but the church members are likely poor, and the best thing is to get settled in a new church building. They are looking for a building to buy or for land on which to build. I'm hoping we can help with creating fundraisers in the US so that others can have the opportunity to participate by contributing toward the building/land purchase. It's insane how far money goes here, and how much good can be done with so little. It makes me conscious all over again of my American privilege, and how blessed we are (were?) to live in a country where wealth is so readily available and disposable income so plentiful. Poor people in America have nothing on the poverty here, where migrant Venezuelans vend tiny pieces of candy in the streets in the hopes of earning a few centavos, cats and dogs run wild through the streets, and there aren't really food banks or free clinics.

As one example, during the first few days we were here, we learned that the daughter of a church member and dear friend (she served us an amazing meal of ceviche when we were here in August) was taken to the clinic with severe abdominal pains. It turned out to be appendicitis, and she had an appendectomy, after which she went home (I think just a day later) to save money. The clinic doesn't serve food, like a normal hospital, so I went with Sra. Balcazar (our host and the pastor's wife) to bring breakfast to the family. Sra. Balcazar told me that the bills were about s/2.500 (2,500 Peruvian soles, or about $781.25) and that without health insurance, they couldn't pay it. I would love to see some kind of ministry whereby we could set up a way for Americans to contribute both to the building of the church and other mercy needs of destitute members. If any one has experience with this--I'm thinking something more long-term and sustainable than GoFundMe--please reach out and let's talk.

The church meets on Sunday mornings, Tuesday evenings, Friday evenings, and there is a Bible Study on Saturdays. I don't always understand all the words, but I'm able to catch the gist of much of it. For example, one recent sermon was on the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican. We all read about the Pharisee's boast: "Ayuno dos veces a la semana." Aha! Breakfast here is called desayuno, and I realized that the word's construction is much the same as ours: break fast, des ayuno.

There is much more to say but my laptop is getting hot so I'll close with a few pictures:


The congregation worshipping


Entering the church


Helping set up


Sunday School class presentation


Family portrait




Visiting Yamileh in the clinic


Baby dedication


Lots of children


We went to visit Mercy and she cooked us a meal!


More classes


No air conditioning!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We recognize Abuela! We continue to pray for all of you: may God grant you fluency and guidance in the coming days. We also pray for health. Thanks for the update and the pictures.

-Mom

Anonymous said...

We look forward to supporting the church with you. =)

~ Leah

Unknown said...

Hi, Rose, Michael, and family:

Enjoying your blog and keeping up with your lives in Peru!
Praying for you,
Karen

D said...

I'm thankful you're keeping up with the blog posts. I will be praying for God to provide for the needs of the individuals in the congregation. Love and miss you guys!

D said...

I'm glad you all have so many friends already. Though I'm not surprised. Looks like you're getting settled in. Can't wait to hear about school.

Alyssa Faith said...

Loved reading this! I also wish we could have some conversation about the whole matter of helping with outside money. It's a huge ball of wax that I learned a little about while on the mission field, and only recently learned more about through reading When Helping Hurts. Have you heard of or read the book? I so so wished I had read it before I was even an MK in South America, as it resonated with many of the things we experienced about the dangerous blessing of American money. Not trying to deflate your good ideas, but just wanted to add in a word among all the positive 'Yes, let's do it!" that it's something that you have to do with extreme caution in order to not hurt the national people's will to give of themselves, which is one of their privileges. That's just my grains of salt on the scales. So thankful you have a good church there! (Hubby just offered some of our American dollars to ship you the book if you'd like it ;)