Tuesday, April 23, 2019

A Flying Visit To Virginia

Last week I flew back to the States to attend a cousin's wedding. It was a very special time, and wonderful to see family and friends again. Sadly the whole family couldn't come (tickets to/from Peru can be pricey) and Michael held down the fort magnificently while I was away.

We have an empleada who comes in three days a week to help with cleaning and cooking, and I had asked a young lady from church to come over every afternoon to help with the kids. I meant the younger kids, but I heard that Jane and Ella had a great time teaching her English and learning Spanish from her.

I came back at exactly the right time. Mid-April is surely one of the most beautiful times of the year, right when spring is in full bloom. The trees were blossoming and the grass was fresh and green. The smells and colors were so intense and overwhelming, and I definitely felt a tinge of homesickness--but I'm glad to be back in Chiclayo with my family now. There are lovely flowers here, and quite a bit of green.

It was almost comical to see the kinds of foods I was missing. For instance, I've always liked peanut butter, but I wouldn't classify it as a favorite food. Suddenly I was craving it, and couldn't get enough of it. There's no natural peanut butter available in Peru, just your typical hydrogenated-oil-and-sugar-laced stuff, and it's pretty expensive, so I haven't bought it. After two and a half months with no peanut butter, apparently I really wanted some! Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

When we do return to America, I'm sure I'll look on everything with a kinder and more grateful eye. Nothing like deprivation to make us appreciate what we have.

I got back just in time to attend Book Tea. Ah, the food!!

The Audubon bird sanctuary where the wedding was. So beautiful!

Charcuterie!

All seven sibs.

And the original Garber family.

The happy couple, my lovely cousin Vanessa and her great guy Ryan.

Best wedding cake ever: Ice cream sandwiches!

Thomas and I got to see Captain Marvel. Movies may be cheap in Peru, but they're all dubbed in Spanish.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these pics! I'm glad you were able to make it. =)

~ Leah

Anonymous said...

How we enjoyed having you visit! Thank you for making the sacrifice in terms of flight cost, lack of sleep, and leaving your family in Peru. Their loss was our gain. I'm glad we could provide homemade ice cream as well as other American food, and we have already packed some for our upcoming trip to Chiclayo. Love, mom for the family

dozenhalls said...

Love these updates! Hope you can do more of life in Peru!